Tuesday, November 29, 2011

20111129 Meatballs in Curry Sauce


(SOURCE: Bill Granger - Relax)

I got this wonderful cookbook, Bill Granger's Relax, for my birthday - thanks Heather! His recipes are so easy to follow, so I couldn't help but try one of them right away. Tonight I made half the meatballs but the same amount of sauce. I served my meatballs with some steamed basmati rice, and wish I had some roasted cashew nuts to go with them. As my husband was late from work and we had to dash out, I simply made him a meatball ciabatta sandwich to go - the fragrant sauce and the fresh and crusty ciabatta, yummmm. Next time I may just make those meatballs alone as finger food at parties!

INGREDIENTS
For the meatballs - 
300g minced pork
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small egg, lightly beaten
25g breadcrumbs
1/2 red chilli pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the curry sauce -
3 tbsp curry paste
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
4 tomatoes, finely chopped
200ml coconut milk
200ml chicken stock
lemon juice and brown sugar, to taste

METHOD
1. Heat the oven to 220 degree C.
2. In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the meatball. Then make about 20 little meatballs. Grease a roast pan with some olive oil (about 1/2 tbsp) and toss the meatballs in. Cook the meatballs in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
3. In the meantime, cook the curry paste and ginger over high heat until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Then add the coconut milk and stock. Bring it to the boil, and then let it simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
4. Throw the meatballs into the curry sauce and let it simmer for another 20 minutes. Season with lemon juice and brown sugar, and scatter with roughly chopped coriander leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment